we (the whole fucking world that is), have been social distancing at home for about three weeks.
these 20 plus 1 songs just keep popping up in my mind:
1.in a sentimental mood – John Coltrane
sad but also hopeful.
2. the weeping song – Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
rowing into an unknown with a mate, embracing the situation.
3. it’s the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) – REM
perfect follow up to the weeping song – pump up the volume
4. it seemed the better way – Leonard Cohen
i am fortunate to be with my family but a lot of people are alone.
5. who wants to live forever – Queen
we are living in times when many will succumb to this pandemic.
6. dust in the wind – Kansas
how insignificant life can be
7. karma police – Radiohead
trying to establish social grounds despite our urge for agency…
8. transatlantisism – Death Cab for Cutie
a faith based on global connections.
9. the great gig in the sky – Pink Floyd
why weren’t we ready? and now the world, like the song, cries.
10. wish you were here – Pink Floyd
wishing we were with those who are not with us.
“And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?”
11. the outsiders – REM
what a fuck up.
12. the last carnival – Bruce Springsteen
sad, like what we are going through.
13. brothers in arms – Dire Straits
in this world war, we are all losing.
14. wind of change – Scorpions
there is no doubt we come out of this changed.
15. dream on – Aerosmith
“The past is gone it went by like dusk to dawn”
…but we all dream on
16. fade to black – Metallica
some days are like this.
17. one – U2
“it’s too late to drag the past up”.
18. pain – The War on Drugs
there’s a comment on this youtube video that says, “this music gives me memories I don’t have”
19. little faith – The National
it’s for all, out there
20. hollywood – Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
if you have not lost someone, go plant a mustard seed
20+1. hallelujah – Leonard Cohen
if your faith is intact, listen to this song. if it isn’t, listen harder.